Eight early pioneers of the Augusta area were recorded to have met at the rural home of David Richards on January 9, 1869 to organize what is now known as First Baptist Church of Augusta, Kansas. It was chartered with ten members and two others joined the next day.
Early meeting places included the James' log cabin, Blood's Hall and the little White Chapel on East Seventh Street. The White Chapel became the church's first permanent home in 1877.
The historic bell, now displayed on the west side of the office wing, had it's first home in the belfry of the White Chapel in 1878.
God led! The people followed! They grew spiritually and in number. A brick structure was added in front of the White Chapel in 1917. The stained glass window, presently at the east entrance, was first installed in the south side of the newly built Seventh Street Brick sanctuary.
In 1959, the congregation sang A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD while they marched up State Street to the present site at State and Kelly Streets.
In over 145 years, twenty-nine men have been called to be pastor, nine pastors have been ordained, twenty men and two women have been licensed to preach.
In the first decade of the 21st century, a congregation of over 800 members, three full-time pastors and more than eight full and part-time staff reach out to the community.